Pages

We moved from Essex to North Norfolk in August 2006 and I have spent a lot of time since then photographing the nature around me, mostly close up and macro stuff. My "patch" is the 10Km square TG2035 though I spend most time between Overstrand, where we live, and Trimingham.



I also bird regularly elsewhere in Norfolk and volunteer at Cley.





I have a photo site at
http://overstrandnature.fotopic.net/ but wanted a bit more detail so I thought I'd have a go at a blog detailing what I see locally, as well as on trips abroad

Most of the photos have been taken with Canon digital equipment, or the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1. I still however mostly use a camera to record what I see, rather than set out to photograph something.


Tuesday 30 March 2010

25th-29th March

25th March

More migrants locally with two Chiffs and a Firecrest in nearby gardens.

My walk at Cley had some nice people on it -the birds were a little disappointing though they seemed pleased with Marsh Harriers, Ruff etc, which is the important thing. So was the rest of the day except for a brief patch of excitement when an American Wigeon was reported from Daukes. Unfortunately this was not to be as it was probably an American/Eurasian hybrid when eventually found around a ditch from Teal hide, showing badly. Cettis were singing though and a Peacock butterfly added colour.

26th March

Wandered up the golf course and saw the Alpine Swift again. Three or four Chiffs were singing as was a Blackcap in Ben’s garden and there seemed to be a few Greenfinches moving. A solitary Black Redstart had taken up temporary residence on the bungalows at the east end.

27th

Good numbers of moths this morning but nothing exceptional.

With our son and his girlfriend up for the weekend, before lunch we all went for a walk at Felbrigg in the chilly sunshine. Not really expecting much, a calling Nuthatch was nice but the 50 or so Crossbills in the mixed conifers and larches were excellent, as was the singing Firecrest in its usual car park. I haven’t seen or heard Nuthatch in the village this year – how ominous this is remains to be seen as they have been quite common before this winter.

28th

Shoulder Stripe
A Shoulder Stripe in the trap was nice. This is a moth which was new for us when we moved here but has occurred annually since. There was also a very late March Moth showing how mixed up the spring for moths seems to be so far.

Before lunch we walked round the village and happened on the local Alpine Swift feeding over nearby houses. This was too good an opportunity to miss and ten minutes in the garden secured it for the garden list, flying low over the trees opposite and next door

29th

Following from news the previous evening, Phil V, Alan D and I twitched Suffolk for the male Lesser Kestrel at Westleton Heath. I made the mistake of assuming it would be easy to see and left my scope behind, not reckoning on it being about ½ mile away. Views were just about tickable with scrounged views through Colin Mac’s scope. That will teach me!

In worsening weather we went looking for the Pallid Swift at Kessingland but couldn’t find it. The two Alpine Swifts on the front were easier but looking pitiful in the steady rain, hunched up under a ledge on the block of flats they were roosting on.

Quite an amazing collection of birds along this short stretch of coast. I’d only seen two Alpine Swifts in UK, one years ago in Kent and one at Cromer light not long after we moved, so three in a few days was a bit unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment